Sam Houston Elementary School

  Sam Houston Elementary School
2905 East Travis Street
Marshall, TX 75672
Phone: 903-927-8860
Fax: 903-927-8863
P.O. Box 43
Marshall, TX 75671-043

       » Bus Stop Information

Mr. Jerry Hancock is a native of Marshall and a 1985 graduate of Marshall High School. He is the first principal of the new Sam Houston Elementary School after having previously served as principal at old South Marshall Elementary during that school's final year in 2016-2017. Prior to South Marshall, Mr. Hancock was the assistant principal at Sam Houston Middle School four four years from 2012-2016. He had served as a fourth-grade teacher at J.H. Moore Elementary and at David Crockett Elementary, and he also taught U.S. History at Marshall Junior High School prior to becoming an assistant principal. Mr. Hancock is a 1998 graduate of East Texas Baptist University, with a Bachelor of Arts in Behavioral Science. He earned a Region 7 ESC Alternative Certification in 2007 and a Masters of Education and Principal Certification from Texas A&M-Texarkana in 2001.

2nd Grade

The Teacher of the Month for March 2018 at Sam Houston Elementary School, as selected by Principal, Mr. Jerry Hancock, is Lori Bramlett, second-grade teacher.

"Mrs. Bramlett is a master teacher," said Mr. Hancock. "She is able to operate effortlessly in her classroom through the relationships she has built with her students which puts all of her students in position for high levels of success. She does whatever she has to do to help every child and is always willing to help out the campus and anyone on it when needed. I consider it an honor to work with Mrs. Bramlett and depend on her commitment to our kids to care for them and push them toward academic and personal success."

Welcome to Sam Houston Elementary School! We are so excited to be in our new facility, with our new school community! Please feel free to visit us and see what we are doing to help make Marshall ISD "Marshall Proud and Maverick Strong!"

Marshall ISD has been fortunate to include many hard-working educators who have left a trail for us to follow in serving Marshall’s children in our schools. It is our goal to remember as many of these as possible, along with all of our past school communities, with the opening of our new Legacy 2017 schools. "Building A Legacy" does not primarily focus solely on the future of our schools; it is a constant continuation and merging of the past, present AND future of Marshall ISD.

jake matthewsJAKE MATTHEWS ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES: Mr. Jake Matthews served as Principal of the old South Marshall Elementary School from 1976 until he retired from Marshall ISD in 1994.

He joined Marshall public schools as a classroom teacher in August of 1966, but was named Principal of Stephen F. Austin Elementary a year later in 1967. When Stephen F. Austin burned to the ground in the summer of 1969, its students were transferred to George Washington Carver Elementary and Matthews was named Principal of what was then known as the Austin/Carver Elementary School.

He was then transferred to South Marshall in 1976 to succeed longtime Principal, Mr. C.A. Maule, who was retiring after 19 years as principal. Matthews would then retire just one year short of matching Mr. Maule’s 19 years, serving 18 years as leader at South Marshall which would eventually become Marshall’s magnet campus and, since 2014, the district’s STEM Academy.

dellaDELLA WASHINGTON LEARNING CENTER: Della Washington grew up in the Marshall area as a student at Karnack Elementary and a graduate of Pemberton High School. She achieved a Bachelor’s Degree from Wiley College in 1959 and earned a Master’s from Prairie View A&M in 1975.

She began her teaching career in Arkansas at Helena-West ISD for one year before returning closer to home to teach in Jefferson ISD for two years. Entering her fourth year as an educator, Miss Della joined Marshall schools as a teacher at Dogan Elementary and began a journey of touching the lives of countless Marshall students that reached 55 years and counting as of the opening of the Legacy 2017 schools.

As Marshall schools were desegregated, Miss Della moved from Dogan to what would become her permanent home at South Marshall Elementary, where she taught continuously for 47 years (1962-2008) and then returned in 2012 following a brief retirement to continue her service as a local educator.

In total, with the opening of Marshall’s new schools in 2017, Miss Della had taught a total of 57 years – with 54 of those years coming in Marshall, 52 of which were at South Marshall – and counting as a member of the faculty of the new Sam Houston Elementary.

Patience, understanding and determination were anchors of Miss Della’s classroom, and her self-stated teaching philosophy “requires me to do whatever is necessary to help my students achieve and become successful in society.”

elseCOACH LADY ELSE GYMNASIUM: Born in Liberia, West Africa, and adopted by missionaries Ulysses S. Gray and Vivienne N. Gray, Lady Margaret Gray Else taught P.E. at the old Sam Houston Middle School in Marshall for 27 years before the opening of the new Legacy 2017 schools.

She attended school in Liberia before moving to the United States when she was in the sixth grade. After finishing her grade school education at different schools in Massachusetts, Texas and South Carolina, Coach Else earned college degrees from both Wiley College and Stephen F. Austin University.

She arrived in Marshall ISD in 1977 as a ninth-grade teacher at Pemberton High School. A year later, she began teaching Physical Education, a career move that had reached almost 40 years and counting with the opening of Marshall’s Legacy 2017 schools.

In 1988, due to her mother’s failing health, Coach Else approached Superintendent Pat Smith and requested to transfer to Sam Houston Middle School to serve and teach P.E. with coaches Pat Fancher and Johnnie Ammons. From 1989 until the close of the old Sam Houston Middle School in May of 2017 – a period of 27 years -- Coach Else taught P.E. in the old gymnasium here with no air conditioning. She continued serving MISD students following the opening of the Legacy 2017 schools as P.E. coach at the new David Crockett Elementary.

shmsSAM HOUSTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: The new Sam Houston Elementary School opened in August of 2017 as a renovated facility from the old Sam Houston Middle School. The original Sam Houston Middle School opened in September 1964 to serve students in grades 7-8 and was originally named Marshall Junior High School. The facility was constructed out of funds made available in a $4.6 million bond issue in 1962. When MISD reorganized in 1981 under court order, the eighth-grade campus became one of two new middle schools for fifth and sixth graders. The old Sam Houston Elementary School closed that year, and the newly organized middle school assumed the name.

The school's namesake, Sam Houston Elementary, had opened on East Houston Street as East End School on September 25, 1905. It was renamed after the legendary Texas hero in the early 1920s. It was a high school only until the 1906-07 school year, during which grades 9-12 were moved temporarily to the Masonic Institute. On September 23, 1907, East End opened to students in grades 1-8. An auditorium was added in 1925, the inside was improved in 1939-40, the auditorium was converted to a cafetorium in 1951 and the building was re-roofed in 1954. On October 12, 1981, the MISD Board of Trustees accepted a bid for the vacant building. In 1997, MISD once again gained ownership of the school in court settlement, however; but on April 5, 2004, the building returned to private ownership.

Since 1981, Sam Houston Middle School has served students in grades 5-6 along with the district's other middle school, Price T. Young. The site of Price T. Young was used for construction of a new elementary school, Price T. Young Elementary, in the Legacy 2017 building program. The old middle school building was demolished upon completion of that project. The Sam Houston Middle School facility was renovated to serve as a new Sam Houston Elementary.

south marshallSOUTH MARSHALL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: South Marshall School came into existence as a result of united efforts of the patrons. The children in this section of town could not attend either West End School (Stephen F. Austin) or East End School (Sam Houston) because of the long distance to walk. Mrs. Kathryn Ruffin and Mrs. Robert Boone were instrumental in organizing patrons to draft a petition to present to City Commissioners. The petition culminated in a $60,000 bond issue in January 1916 for the purpose of building two new elementary schools: Van Zandt and South Marshall. South Marshall would be located at the corner of Meadow and Pecan Streets. Mr. Chesley Adams, former Superintendent, sold a portion of his land to the school board and donated the remainder for the school site. The school opened on December 11, 1916, with an enrollment of 87.

As a result of community growth, it became necessary in 1945 to add four classrooms, clinic, bookroom, restroooms, teachers' lounge, principal's office and a cafeteria. Crowding became more acute in 1953, and a portable classroom was built on the east side of the campus. Enrollment increased again in 1954, and the clinic and part of the office were used as a classroom until the second portable could be moved in.

In 1962, the construction of nine new classrooms was completed -- four extending east from the south end of the building and five from the north end. The old two-story structure was removed. Two classrooms and a library were added beneath the elevated south wing in 1979.

In the fall of 1987, the north wing was expanded to include six classrooms and restrooms for kindergarten and first grade and several portables were removed. In the fall of 1990, South Marshall became the first MISD elementary school to have a gymnasium.

With MISD's reorganization in 1981, South Marshall School began serving students in grades K-4. Until then, it had been a K-6 school. Head Start classes were taught at the school from fall 1999 to spring 2002. South Marshall Elementary became South Marshall STEM Academy in the fall of 2014, serving as a magnet campus for students in MISD's STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) program which began that year. The school was repeatedly recognized for its academic excellence and achievement, with designation as a High Performing, High Progress school in back-to-back years in 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 prior to closing upon opening of Marshall ISD's Legacy 2017 schools. The STEM program was moved to a newly renovated Sam Houston Elementary School at that time.